Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!

(Thanks to Diane for the beautiful and yummy cupcakes yesterday..)


I am now 30..... I felt it a little yesterday. I was picking out a card for my twin sister and in a squatting position because I felt the need to look at the cards near the floor....and my left knee gave out and I fell back on my butt...fabulous. So I was limping around last night for a while.. damn old volleyball injury. I got Amy a cute card, though...so it's all worth it...
Amy, Michelle, my mom and I went to see Ratatouille last night. Seriously, a fabulous little movie.
I spent my last weekend in my twenties in my other home...I call it my heart's home...in New Orleans. I got to spend time with a few of my friends and it felt like a mini homecoming, so it was really just more wonderful than words for my stressed out soul. I need to rejuvenate it more often.....plans are in the works....and I didn't get to see everyone, so I have to go back soon, right?!?!?!. Michael and I walked around all Friday afternoon. See pictures below...


TULANE's new University Center..
They needed to do a little more work on the inside...it's basically the same set up...the fans are an interesting modern take on the old wooden ones...


But don't cha think they should've figured out before completed installation that huge water falls with fans blowing a cooling mist out in the foyer wouldn't work so well with marble floors...hmm..looks pretty...I'm not going to even show the ugly picture of the ceilings in the hallway..Modernist see through ceilings with ugly foam insulation around pipes just shouldn't have been what they were going for.

Botanical Garden...one of the remaining WPA/art deco style gardens...Such my happy place. I used to run right by ....it was my treat for actually running...




The next few pictures are from the train garden...It's set up with the different neighborhoods of the city and little blurbs..I took these pics for my dad..thought he would enjoy.. It's pretty fun.
The Japanese garden..and the butterfly garden...











THIS WAS ALWAYS MY FAVORITE SPOT....


SCULPTURE GARDEN.


OH. More City park.....I heart City Park.


I took this picture for Lauren so she could see a traditional kind of New Orleans home..I think they did a fabulous paint color..Yellow. ahh. Pretty.
I found my self loving all the crepe myrtles in bloom, but for some reason I didn't document them...they were so beautiful. I believe they were my species of choice for the weekend...


Anna made rabbit soup Friday night. Interesting. I don't think I need to eat it again. It was ok, but not really my thing. We ended up drinking into the night since Anna got a new job!!! Yeah!!!! We just hung out Saturday...walked around Magazine Street a little. Crepe Nanous for my Sat dinner...yummy and good thoughts hanging out with Michael...then off to Cooter Browns for drinks with Michael and Chris and his sister Danielle, who I haven't seen since college. We had a lovely time and I stayed up way past my bedtime without even knowing it. Sunday Chris whisked me off to Gretna and I got to see the progress on his garage...cool doors...cypress wood...yummy....it'll look good when he's done...
and his house...which is only back to the way it was four years ago when I saw it for the first time, I believe...sounds sad but actually I think he's doing very well.

His next door neighbor...the Hanging Garden of Gretna...


And I got to see part of his family and meet his little niece...adorable gerber baby...a little tan blonde...drink some beer...pick out paint colors at Lowe's...give kitchen advice. Hey, I enjoy doing that so it was fabulous.
Here's some pics of his mom's kitchen in progress...and the door that was supposed to take an hour...how come things with Chris are never are without complications, it seems....but you can kinda see the door in question in the second picture in the background..


Then back to Anna and Sean's to go for tea at Windsor Court. Yummy.. It was good to experience one of Anna's favorite things..

Then a walk to the river...my happy spot. Anna and Sean love me a lot to walk around in dress clothes in July in New Orleans with me..I'm one of those crazy walkers in heels even though I'm a clutz. And then back to their place for pizza..and more Abita. Ahhh Abita. And an art movie. I love Sean...he said I'm resigned to the fact that I'm in a room with three artists. Live it up dear. Watch what you want...I'm having another beer. Weird but good movie...
Then I just relaxed Monday morning before my flight and walked around some more...

So. It was just good. New Orleans smells so good, and I'm not talking about the urine Decatur/Bourbon street icky Mardi Gras smell..
which by the way I got to smell at the foundry before I left...outside next to the log...fun times on the south side my friends..
but it's this heavy feeling from the moisture mixed with the smell of jasmine or tropical plants...the magnolias perhaps, I don't quite know what exactly..it's a combination.....
it makes me walk a little more grounded. I can feel the earth better. Smell better.

It's just so good.

No comments: